With the 32nd pick is GM and BBV draft analyst extraordinaire "ct17" for the Seattle Seahawks.
The Seattle Seahawks select Joel Bitonio, T, Nevada. Offensive line was a problem last year, due to injuries, a patchwork approach to finding and using players, and the fact that Carpenter has proven to be the reach we expected, although injuries played a toll with his career. Giacomini and McQuistan were lost in free agency. Bowie seems slated for guard. That leaves an opening at right tackle, for which the athletic Bitonio is a good fit. I thought long and hard about Kouandijo here. But I think Bitonio is a better fit for their zone scheme.
This concludes the first round of our draft. I have written up my thoughts on Round 1 in a FanPost you can find here. If anyone has recommendations for changes or just wants to comment on some of my thoughts, please feel free. We will begin round 2 of the draft on Tuesday with the Houston Texans and GM "kev86."
Round 1 results:
1. Houston Texans (kev86) -- Jadeveon Clowney, DE / Clowney's once-in-a-generation talent trumps the need for a QB.
2. St. Louis Rams (S. McC sub pick) -- Greg Robinson, OT / Rams' OL is in tatters. Would have liked to make this pick at 5 or 6.
3. Jacksonville Jaguars (88 the Great) -- Teddy Bridgewater, QB / This team needs its franchise QB badly.
4. Cleveland Browns (New York!) -- Khalil Mack, OLB / Browns go BPA looking to get sacks by pairing potential No. 1 with Barkevious Mingo at OLB.
5. Oakland Raiders(The Evil Zild) -- Sammy Watkins, WR / Gives new QB Matt Schaub a target and will help put points on the board. Last clear "Tier 1" player available.
6. Cincinnati Bengals (GiantBuckeye from ATLANTA) -- Jake Matthews, OT / Immediately replace LT hole, putting it on Dalton to use his weapons to deliver in the playoffs -- now.
7. Cleveland Browns (New York! from TAMPA BAY) -- Mike Evans, WR / Create a fearsome WR tandem to boost offense.
8. Minnesota Vikings (gobs10) -- Blake Bortles, QB / BPA at our greatest position of need. With apologies to Matt Cassel, if we win 11 games we expect to make the playoffs.
9. Buffalo Bills (Revenge of the Blackshirts) -- Eric Ebron, TE / Edges out Lewan because of OL depth in the draft; provides a top-flight weapon on offense.
10. Detroit Lions (dravs13) -- Anthony Barr, OLB / Top talent could boost sack numbers and the draft is deeper at corner.
11. Tennessee Titans (The Curse) -- Taylor Lewan, OT/ Between DB and OL Lewan is the higher-projected player at at a position of more need and may benefit recent investment Chase Warmack.
12. New York Giants (Invictus XI) -- Aaron Donald, DT / Better feeling about this riser's potential than adding to a stocked secondary or Taylor "Barfight" Lewan.
13. St. Louis Rams (wangstu13) -- Justin Gilbert, CB / Paired with Janoris Jenkins, Gilbert gives the Rams potentially 2 shutdown corners as the top CB in the draft.
14. Chicago Bears (Invictus for Drizzzy) -- Darqueze Dennard, CB / Bolsters the Bears' ailing secondary.
15. Pittsburgh Steelers (CTBIGBLUE) -- Odell Beckham Jr., WR / With ideal targets gone, Pitt takes the top WR and will look to bolster the pass rush later in the draft rather than reach.
16. San Francisco 49ers (Zobster) -- Kyle Fuller, CB / Covers for the 49ers CB exodus as top talent is becoming a premium.
17. Baltimore Ravens (SMC for pataroons) -- Ha'sean Clinton-Dix, S / Ravens get a bit of a steal here at a top area of need after considering Moseley and Martin.
18. New York Jets (KevinGo) -- Calvin Pryor, S / Receiving targets are more of a sweet spot in the next round and safety is a need.
19. Miami Dolphins (Markfg) -- Zack Martin, OT / Major need, and doesn't have any sisters for Richie Incognito to defile.
20. Arizona Cardinals (BBSB Times 4 and counting) -- Ryan Shazier, OLB / At No. 11 on WalterFootball's big board, this talented LB gets forgotten behind Mack and Barr but offers speed and pass coverage as well as rush.
21. Green Bay Packers (RangerD) -- Deone Bucannon, S / Big secondary needs in GB and the 2nd-round prospects at MLB look promising.
22. Philadelphia Eagles (Giantstep) -- CJ Moseley, ILB / Between this and a wide receiver, we will draft the guy we had hoped an aging DeMeco Ryans could have been. Mosley is the future.
23. Kansas City Chiefs (TopChief1) -- Marqise Lee, WR / Recent investment in QB means a pass on Manziel and pairing the BPA with Bowe, stretching the field for Jamaal Charles.
24. Atlanta Falcons (Turn and Coughlin) -- Dee Ford, OLB / We like this guy as an athlete and pass rusher who'll speed the Falcons defense into its new 3-4 scheme.
25. San Diego Chargers (rudy2930) -- Louis Nix III, NT / Instant starter at NT.
26. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (BavaroBoy89) -- Johhny
Football Manziel, QB / Extraordinary value over what will happen. There's finally a QB in Tampa Bay!
27. New Orlean Saints (lemonjello) -- Brandin Cooks, WR / This is the game-breaking receiver who will keep the Saints' high-powered offense in gear. And we beat the Times-Picayune's pick of him at 20 by sitting pat!
28. Carolina Panthers (njnas) -- Kelvin Benjamin, WR / Woulda took Cooks!
29. New England Patriots (Troy O) -- Kony Ealy, DE / Pats need a rotational DE and that can be his experience as he grows into the full-time starter.
30. Dallas Cowboys (Simms-McConkey) -- Ra'shede Hageman, DT / Cowboys start their defensive rebuild with a potential monster at their neediest position.
31. Denver Broncos (Rocky Mountain Blue) -- Xavier Su'a-Filo, OG / Between this team's few needs of interior OL and inside LB, this is the best player left, a legit first-rounder who will keep Peyton upright for another shot at the Super Bowl.
32. Seattle Seahawks (ct17) -- Free agency and injury have exacerbated the Seahawks point of weakness, the OL. Bitonio is a better fit for their scheme than Kouandjio.