Today, let's take a look at a likely late Day 2 or Day 3 NFL Draft prospect with enough upside to become a starter. Who might that be?
The name is Jack Mewhort, offensive lineman for the Ohio State Buckeyes. Mewhort has been on the radar for scouts for a long time because of his versatility. He's a rough, durable lineman that's been playing since 2010. Let's take a closer look at what makes him a desirable prospect for the Giants.
- The conversation with Mewhort starts with his attitude. Nolan Nawrocki states that he "breathes fire." Very competitive and nasty.
- Powerful run blocker. Shows off good technique by driving head down, churning legs and gets some real movement of the DL off the line.
- Can anchor well in pass protection. Doesn't usually get beaten by bullrushes often and plays with a good base.
- Nice, strong punch.
- Versatile. Played LT, LG, RG at Ohio State.
- Foot speed seems a little slow to me. Needs to show more consistency when kicking out.
- Waist bender and that causes him to overextend sometimes.
- I don't know how he'd do out in space as a blocker downfield.
Does He Fit With The Giants?
Yes. He's more than likely a right tackle in the pros due to the lack of great footwork, but I think he can be a successful one. He's got upside because I think the athleticism and the motivation are there. Seems like a lunch pail type of guy and his versatility is something that the Giants are known to covet above and beyond other teams.
No. 74 Jack Mewhort, OT, Ohio St vs Buffalo '13 (via SportCutups)
Big Board Rankings.
Big Blue View - Not in top 100
Mocking The Draft - 117
CBS Sports - 61
Draft Countdown - 128
Draft Tek - 80
Mewhort will indeed be an intriguing mid-round pick. Depending on how valuable teams view his versatility, I wouldn't be surprised if he landed right smack dab in the middle of the third round. He's got a lot of work to do to clean up his pass protection, but from all accounts has the attitude to do it. The player he reminds me of, and who I think his ceiling can be is Michael Roos of the Tennessee Titans. Similar type of frame, drive blocking power, and temperament.