Well, that sucked.
The Giants somehow survived 5 turnovers to be in a great position to win the game, down 6 and having the ball at midfield at the 2 minute warning. Thanks mostly to Eli, who while he threw 3 picks, also threw for 450 yards and 4 touchdowns and kept the Giants in the game after being down 17 in the 3rd quarter. Then the 6th turnover happened. It was a designed screen pass to Scott, he was late to turn around, he reached out for the ball, it hit his hands and bounced up into the air, right into the hands of Brandon Carr, who took it the distance for the crushing blow.
Here are a few of my thoughts on the game:
- It was Week 1 alright, and it was pretty disgusting. Tom Coughlin said he was embarrassed by the preformance, and he and the Giants should be. 6 turnovers is an absolute disgrace and should never happen if you're a playoff-caliber team. I know the team showed a lot of heart, coming back from a 17 point deficit to make it a game again the the 4th quarter, but they could've had a much easier path.
- Why didn't Michael Cox or Henry Hynoski get it at the goal line and on short 3rd downs? They're the 2 biggest bodies this team has right now, and I know the Hynceros is hurt, but after the Mundy interception on 1st and goal I would've loved to have seen Hynoski get a chance. Wilson is no powerback, and they shouldn't try to make him one.
- Staying on Michael Cox, he specialized on screen passes in the pre-season. So... Why was Scott, who probably never even practiced that play, in there in a screen pass at the end of the game?
- At the end of the day (figuratively and maybe even literally, as in by the end of Monday) the newly acquired FA running back, whether it be Dwyer, Wells, Grant, whomever, will be welcomed with open arms.
- Despite the negatives, there were some positives to take away from this atrocity. Specifically in the passing game. Eli was Eli, Cruz was Cruz, Randle caught for 100 yards, Myers caught a TD, but most importantly, Nicks looked healthy, and as good as I've seen him since 2011. Also, T2 and Ross played well after Amukamara went down. Additionally, you have to note the fight that this team put up the last 20 minutes of the game to try to make a comeback. They scored 21 in the 4th.
Anyone else care to chime in on some thoughts?