"He practiced Wednesday," Coughlin said. Webster, however, did not practice Thursday or Friday.
If Webster cannot play the likely candidate to replace him is veteran Aaron Ross.
"We have some guys who can go and Aaron is the guy that would go right away," Coughlin said. "We have, fortunately, a couple of guys who can play in there."
Thomas has become the Giants' full-time slot cornerback after missing two seasons with knee injuries. Coughlin said that "naturally" Thomas has shown some rust.
"I've seen progress, too," Coughlin said. "I thought he played hard last week. It wasn't perfect, but he played hard. He'll tackle, he'll come and hit you."
More from Big Blue View
- Eli Manning and interceptions -- what's the story?
- Giants-Panthers Injury Report: Corey Webster doubtful for Sunday
- Kevin Gilbride: 'We're going to make an effort to run'
- Giants at Panthers Scouting Report: Breaking down the match-ups
- Chase Blackburn, Domenik Hixon spare parts in Carolina
- New York Giants' news, 9/20: Aaron Ross ready, more
- Coughlin: Giants prepared for running quarterback
- Giants-Panthers Injury Report: Corey Webster misses practice
- POLL: How many interceptions will Eli throw?
- Jason Pierre-Paul still searching for dominant form