The New York Giants Monday added safety Jawanza Starling, cut Saturday by the Houston Texans, to their practice squad per published reports. The Giants filled the other seven spots on the practice squad Sunday.
Starling, 6-foot, 206 pounds, is an undrafted free agent from USC. He made five tackles in four games for the Texans during preseason. He played 93 preseason snaps for Houston and Pro Football Focus gave him a +1.4 overall score for his work.
Starling looks the part but has not fully transitioned his athletic skills onto the field. He offers potential at free or strong safety and is a developmental prospect who should get consideration on a practice squad.
More from Big Blue View
- PFF Preseason Review: Good news, bad news for Giants
- New York Giants Records: What marks could be set this season?
- New York Giants' news, 9/2: Prep for season-opener begins
- Giants fill seven of eight spots on practice squad
- On the rise: David Wilson, Rueben Randle
- Giants' Practice Squad 2013: Charles James? Matt Broha? Who will be added?
- New York Giants' roster cuts 2013: Players react on Twitter
- New York Giants' roster moves likely aren't finished yet
- POLL: Which roster cut by Giants was most surprising?
- David Carr, Marvin Austin, Kyle Bosworth, Tyler Sash among Giants' roster cuts