As I continue to settle in after my week-long trip to Myrtle Beach I thought I would comment on a few things that happened with the New York Giants and around the NFL while I was away.
- I thought the signing by the Giants of defensive tackle Mike Patterson was a brilliant move. Yes, the eight-year veteran is a risk after brain surgery last year. He is, however, a really good player. I love what the Giants have done at defensive tackle. They subtracted Chris Canty and, with the money they would have spent on Canty, added Cullen Jenkins, Patterson and Shaun Rogers. That's three-for-one, and adds depth and talent to a defensive tackle rotation that didn't have enough of either last year.
- The defensive tackle signings are an example of the way GM Jerry Reese and the Giants love to do business. The Giants are among the best teams in the league at creating depth and filling out the entire 53-man roster, not just collecting stars. In 2012 it was not the team's depth in most areas that caused the team to miss the playoffs. It was, rather, the lack of production from the guys at the top of the roster -- Eli Manning, Hakeem Nicks, Jason Pierre-Paul, Justin Tuck, Corey Webster and a few others.
- Add the signing of Dan Connor to replace Chase Blackburn and I really think the Giants have done an outstanding job upgrading their front seven. You might argue that Connor and Blackburn are interchangeable. I would argue that Connor is two years younger, 27 to 29, and his numbers historically show he is an upgrade vs. the run, which is what the Giants have emphasized.
- I'm still not sure I fully understand the flirtation with Pat White. The guy wasn't going to sign with the Giants just to run the scout team, and Tom Coughlin is never going to sign off on pulling Eli Manning out of games to run read-option or Wildcat stuff.
- With what the Giants have done in free agency I think everything is wide open for the Giants in the draft. In Round 1 I think they could go anywhere among the non-skill positions -- and even a wide receiver wouldn't be a complete stunner for me if they love one of the guys available. My money right now would be on the best offensive lineman on the board, but selecting whoever they consider the best defensive player regardless of position would not surprise me, either.
Some Non-Giants Thoughts
This is me channeling my inner Peter King to give you some other random thoughts.
- One thing I learned while I was on vacation was the extent to which the BBV community cares about this site. From picking on my grammar to the number of folks who visited the site while there was little to read in the way of new posts, it was a reminder how much you guys care.
- I learned that even playing 'pitch 'n putt' golf in South Carolina, which I did twice, is more fun than hanging out in upstate New York in 30-degree weather and not being able to play golf at all.
- I learned that I really stink at mini-golf. I must have played a half-dozen times against my 17-year-old son, and I didn't win once. I did manage one tie.
- Here's a question. Why do resorts create open wind tunnels between your room and the elevator where you can practically freeze to death in a bathing suit?