Tom Coughlin preaches ball security and constantly reminds players, the media, pretty much anyone who will listen, that winning the turnover battle is the most important factor in winning football games. We know that the 2013 New York Giants have not exactly heeded the coach's warning.
The Giants are -11 in takeaway/giveaway ratio, 30th in the league. They have 30 turnovers, by far the most in the league. The New York Jets are second with 24.
Add to that, the fact that the Giants have surrendered nine "miscellaneous" touchdowns -- scores on kick returns, fumbles and interceptions -- also the most in the NFL, according to the Elias Sports Bureau. That, also per Elias, is the most "miscellaneous" touchdowns ever allowed by a Giants team.
Why are the Giants 4-7 and headed for their fourth playoff-less season in five years? More than anything else, that's your answer right there.
All Hakeem Nicks All The Time
Let the record show that Big Blue View was out frontin the inevitable parade of 'Hakeem Nicks is a goner' predictions. The Bergen Record hopped on that bandwagon. In reference to Nicks returning to the Giants next season The Record writes "prospects of that happening seem far less likely today than just a week ago."
The New York Daily News says the Nicks "sideshow" is really the biggest story for the giants the rest of the way: Ebenezer Samuel writes:
Hakeem Nicks worked hard not to become a sideshow, avoiding all contract conversation in the offseason and paying little attention to trade speculation at the deadline. But here we are a day before Thanksgiving, and the Hakeem Nicks sideshow is all that remains.
Around the Inter-Google
The New York Post points out that Nicks isn't the only Giant whose future could be determined over the next five games.
Conor Orr of the Star-Ledger takes an in-depth look at the Giants' offense Sunday vs. Dallas. Was it too predictable? Orr's piece gives you an idea.
More from Big Blue View:
- Giants at Redskins Week 13: Previews, news, odds, injuries and more
- Giants at Redskins Odds: Giants open as 1.5-point favorites
- Jim Cordle Injury: Giants' center place on IR
- What's up with RGIII? 49ers' Brooks says he shouldn't be playing
- About that third-and-goal shotgun draw
- NFC East Notebook, Nov. 26: Redskins smacked by the 49ers on MNF
- New York Giants vs. Dallas Cowboys: PFF Review
- NFL Power Rankings 2013, Week 13: Giants' win streak finally ends
- Five things I think I think about the Giants, Week 13: Goodbye, Hakeem edition
- New York Giants' news, 11/26: Cowboys' turn to talk