If Jason Pierre-Paul is unable to play Sunday vs. the Green Bay Packers due to the shoulder injury he sustained against the Oakland Raiders, defensive tackle Cullen Jenkins could see some time outside at defensive end.
"That would be a really good option for us because he can take on the tight end. He can take on the tackle. He can anchor us at the edge of the defense. He can shed and then we still have a good complement inside of tackles that can do that and do the job," defensive coordinator Perry Fewell said on Thursday.
As much as many want to see rookie Damontre Moore get more snaps on defense, moving Jenkins outside -- at least in running situations -- makes sense against the power running game of Eddie Lacy and Green Bay. Jenkins is a 305-pound lineman who has experience at both end and tackle. Moore is a 250-pound rookie whose ability to anchor against the run is a question mark.
Fewell indicated that if Pierre-Paul is out Sunday Moore, the Giants' third-round pick, "would be in the picture in our third down situation, our rush package. We see him making a contribution there."
Brandon Jacobs: Knee injury just 'wear and tear'
Brandon Jacobs has not played since a 22-carry, 106-yard effort in Week 6 vs. the Chicago Bear. Initially, Jacobs hurt his hamstring. While rehabbing that, Jacobs' knee began troubling him and that is what has kept him out recently.
"It’s just a wear and tear thing. I’m 31 years old, 6-foot-4, 250-plus pound running back," Jacobs said. "I’ve had it basically the whole season. When I hurt the hamstring, I stopped giving it the attention that it needed, but then that’s what happened, which is why when I was dealing with the hamstring I was like wait, my knee is puffing up. But I’m back to managing it and doing what I’ve got to do every day, so it’s going to be fine."
Around The Inter-Google
WFAN's Paul Dottino offers his three keys to defeating the Packers.
Hall of Fame defensive end Jack Youngblood once played with a broken leg. He can't believe Jason Pierre-Paul would sit out Sunday with his injured shoulder.
More from Big Blue View:
- Quinn: Fumble on opening kickoff 'mind-boggling'
- Fantasy Football: New York Giants Week 11 Start/Sit
- Giants' Injury Report: Jason Pierre-Paul misses another practice
- NFL Picks Week 11: Game-by-game predictions against the spread
- NFC Playoff Picture: Giants' odds improving
- Five moves that helped turn around the Giants' season
- New York Giants' news, 11/14: Giants gaining confidence
- Dan Connor returns to the Carolina Panthers
- Giants' Injury News: Pierre-Paul not sure he will play Sunday
- Coughlin: Big plays 'noticeably missing' from offense