David Diehl will start at right guard Sunday for the New York Giants, he told reporters on Thursday. The veteran offensive lineman has not played yet this season following thumb surgery. He was active last week, but did not play.
"I'm excited about the opportunity. Justin (Pugh) and I have been working very hard together the last week, it's not like I haven't been working with him, talking through things, trying to help coach him since he first got here so we've worked extremely hard watching film, working together, hammering out all the details of everything going into this game," Diehl said. "Both of us are excited. As a group, as an offense, as a team - we're fired up. If you're not excited about this game, to play the Eagles, division rival, one of those games that you know is going to be a four-quarter fist fight, we're pumped up and ready to go."
If the Giants make no other changes Diehl would replace James Brewer. That would leave an offensive line of Will Beatty at left tackle, Kevin Boothe at left guard, Jim Cordle at center, Diehl at right guard and Pugh at right tackle. The Giants could slide Boothe to center and Brewer to left guard, where he started he started once earlier this season.
"Me coming back, I’m not a miracle worker. Everything’s not going to be perfect, everything’s not going to be fixed," Diehl said regarding the struggles of the offensive line thus far. "I just know that I’m going to bring my leadership, I’m going to bring energy, I’m going to fight each and every play, I’m going to do whatever I can to bring the best out of my teammates, just like they do for me."
More from Big Blue View
- Giants' Thursday Injury Report: Corey Webster back on sidelines
- Johnathan Hankins could see first action vs. Eagles
- Giants vs. Eagles: 'Five Questions' with Bleeding Green Nation
- NFL Picks Week 5: Game-by-game predictions against the spread
- Fire Kevin Gilbride? Manning's play, Gilbride's future should be linked
- NFL First Quarter Grade: New York Giants deserve an F
- New York Giants' news, 10/3: Keeping the faith edition
- With Da'Rel Scott waived, Brandon Jacobs is next man up
- Giants' Injury Report: Ten players miss Wednesday practice
- Fantasy Football: New York Giants Week 5 Start/Sit