Tom Coughlin said Monday that his New York Giants understood the importance of Sunday's game against the Philadelphia Eagles. They knew that if they had any chance to play meaningful games during the second half of the season that they had to win. Which, of course, they did.
"We knew full well that this was a really, really important game for us, not only because we had the bye following but because if we were going to have any chance to make a run in a very, let’s be frank, difficult schedule in the second half of the year, we had to put ourselves in position here," Coughlin said. "We’re certainly not blind to the issues that we do have, but by the same token we’re excited about having an opportunity to improve on those areas and excited about the second half of the year."
"We’re pleased to win," Coughlin said. "We know we have a long way to go. We know we have a lot of things that can be improved upon, but it’s nice to win in the division."
Here are some of the things Coughlin addressed on Monday.
"I’m going to have to wait and see. This will be a good week for him. He’s going to continue to be here. To rehab, to workout, condition," Coughlin said. "I’ve been impressed with this last couple of weeks and I’m looking forward to see where he is next week."
On Will Hill, who was suspended for four games at the beginning of the season, but has emerged as a key player on an improved defense:
"He’s worked hard and he has tried to go about his business the right way. In other words, to prove the quality of person that he is, rather than talk about," Coughlin said. "He’s a very good football player. Interestingly enough, the more you ask him to do, the more he can handle."
"He's again upbeat, has that personality, an outgoing personality, a very confident personality. He's had success in the game. He loves the game. He speaks with an aura of authority of having been there," Coughlin said. "I think the players have responded well to his aggressive style. Let's face it, he's an aggressive football player. He's looking to make hits and tackles and I think the players have responded to that."
More from Big Blue View:
- Snap counts vs. Eagles highlight changes on defense
- Steve Weatherford and that 'ridiculous' punt play
- Giants-Eagles 'Kudos & Wet Willies' review
- Hakeem Nicks Trade Rumors: Will the Giants trade Nicks or won't they?
- New York Giants' news, 10/28: Playoffs? We're talkin' playoffs?
- PHOTO GALLERY: Giants defeat Eagles, 15-7
- Post-game reaction: Giants' players take to Twitter to celebrate
- Instant Analysis: Giants, somehow, are back in the NFC East race
- Giants 15, Eagles 7: Post-game locker room reaction
- Giants-Eagles Final Score: Giants defeat Philadelphia, 15-7