Michael Cox is pretty much the last man standing when it comes to New York Giants' running backs. On Monday, the rookie seventh-round pick from UMass was the only back other than fullback John Conner who was practicing.
"It was a little strange being the only one out there and being able to practice and everything. It went good, though," Cox said.
David Wilson is out with a neck injury. He was supposed to get a second opinion on that Monday, but no information has been released as of yet. Da'Rel Scott left Thursday's loss to the Chicago Bears with a hamstring injury. Reports are that Scott could be sidelined for several weeks. Brandon Jacobs carried 22 times for 106 yards vs. Chicago, but also injured a hamstring. He did not practice on Monday.
"I feel really good now, to be honest with you. Just doing what I have to do to take care of it. Hamstrings can be tricky, especially when you feel like they are healed and ready to go," Jacobs said. "I'm just taking it very precautionary. I don't think it's going to be an issue."
Whether Jacobs is ready to play next Monday against the Minnesota Vikings or not the door appears to be open for Cox to get on the field.
"They said I was going to be playing, so I'm just getting ready like I do every week. Just getting ready to play," Cox said.
Cox has been limited to special teams duties thus far, and have returned two kickoffs for 39 yards. During preseason he carried 18 times for 32 yards, caught three passes for 49 yards and averaged 29.3 yards on seven kickoff returns.
"He obviously has a lot going, but there are some things that I think right now we feel good about. There are other things not so (good), and we're working on the not so," head coach Tom Coughlin said. "He's young. It's sophisticated and complex the things that are thrown at him, particularly in the protection area, so you've got to be careful."
Ready or not, it appears the Giants will need Cox to contribute on Monday.
More from Big Blue View:
- A little more info on draft picks
- Hakeem Nicks on trade rumors: 'I'm a Giant'
- For 0-6 New York Giants, youth must be served
- Giants' Trade Rumors 2013: Teams reportedly considering offers for Hakeem Nicks
- New York Giants' news, 10/14: Big plays, bad plays and ... playoffs
- NFL Schedule 2013 Week 6, Open Thread
- Explaining 0-6: Recent Giants' drafts have proven full of holes
- New York Giants' news, 10/13: No Giants' game today, and that's OK
- New York Giants' news, 10/12: Time to think about solutions
- Eli Manning Interception Watch: Examining Thursday's picks