We have now reached the final two picks of the first round of the 2013 Big Blue View Community Mock Draft -- and possibly the final two picks of the draft period. I'm not sure we are going to proceed with a second round, mostly due to time constraints.
Anyway, the San Francisco 49ers, with 'pataroons' playing the role of GM, are up. San Francisco selects ...
Johnthan Banks, CB, Mississippi State
The San Francisco 49ers will enter the 2013 season with arguably the most loaded roster from top to bottom. The idea of them adding talent in the NFL draft seems almost unfair to the rest of the NFC.
Cornerback is one of the few areas that can afford some reinforcement. After watching Julio Jones have his way with 49ers in the first half of the NFC Championship game (135 yards, two touchdowns) it became increasingly apparent that they need a big bodied cornerback to match up with some of the bigger wide receivers in the NFL.
With that rationale, the 49ers are picking Johnthan Banks, CB, Mississippi State.
Banks has impressive size and length (he's listed at 6-foot-1, 185 pounds). He is known as a cornerback with exceptional instincts and ability to play the football in the air. His primary weakness is generally considered to be his backpedal and ability to play press coverage.
A playmaking cornerback with his size and length would go a long way toward patching up one of the weaker positions on an otherwise stacked and intimidating 49ers roster.
Valentine's View: The 49ers could go in just about any direction here. With the deep, talented roster San Francisco has there isn't a position that absolutely must be addressed. Besides, the 49ers have lots of picks in this draft (15 I believe) and can do what they want. That said, I guess it would surprise me if Banks is the pick here. Most analysts currently think D.J. Hayden of Houston has moved ahead of Banks on draft boards, and there are probably a few other players more highly rated if you go purely best player available. Then again, what do I know?
BBV Mock Draft, Round 1
- Kansas City Chiefs -- , OT, Texas A&M [Explanation]
- Jacksonville Jaguars -- Geno Smith, QB, West Virginia [Explanation]
- Oakland Raiders -- Star Lotulelei, DT, Utah [Explanation]
- Philadelphia Eagles -- Dion Jordan, DE, Oregon [Explanation]
- Detroit Lions -- Eric Fisher, OT, Central Michigan [Explanation]
- Cleveland Browns -- Chance Warmack, G, Alabama [Explanation]
- Arizona Cardinals -- Barkevious Mingo, OLB, LSU [Explanation]
- Buffalo Bills -- Ziggy Ansah, DE, BYU [Explanation]
- New York Jets -- Dee Milliner, CB, Alabama [Explanation]
- Tennessee Titans -- Sharrif Floyd, DT, Florida [Explanation]
- San Diego Chargers -- Lane Johnson, OT, Oklahoma [Explanation]
- Miami Dolphins -- Tank Carradine, DE, Florida State [Explanation]
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers -- Alex Okafor, DE, Texas [Explanation]
- Carolina Panthers -- Sheldon Richardson, DT, Missouri [Explanation]
- New Orleans Saints -- Jarvis Jones, OLB, Georgia [Explanation]
- St. Louis Rams -- Alec Ogletree, LB, Georgia [Explanation]
- Pittsburgh Steelers -- Damontre Moore, DE, Texas A&M [Explanation]
- Dallas Cowboys -- Kenny Vaccaro, S, Texas [Explanation]
- New York Giants -- Jonathan Cooper, OG, North Carolina [Explanation]
- Chicago Bears -- Arthur Brown, LB, Kansas State [Explanation]
- Cincinnati Bengals -- Cordarrelle Patterson, WR, Tennessee [Explanation]
- St. Louis Rams -- Jonathan Cyprien, S, Florida International [Explanation]
- Minnesota Vikings -- Tavon Austin, WR, West Virginia [Explanation]
- Indianapolis Colts -- Margus Hunt, DE, SMU [Explanation]
- Minnesota Vikings -- Xavier Rhodes, CB, Florida State [Explanation]
- Green Bay Packers -- Barrett Jones, C, Alabama [Explanation]
- Houston Texans -- DeAndre Hopkins, WR, Clemson [Explanation]
- Denver Broncos -- Bjoern Werner, DE, Florida State [Explanation]
- New England Patriots -- Desmond Trufant, CB, Washington [Explanation]
- Atlanta Falcons -- Datone Jones, DE, UCLA [Explanation]
- San Francisco 49ers -- Johnthan Banks, CB, Mississippi State