The St. Louis Rams are up at No. 22 in our 2013 Big Blue View Community Mock Draft. That means 'Raptor22,' playing the role of Rams' GM, is back for his second pick of the first round. The Rams select ...
Jonathan Cyprien, Safety, Florida International
When I picked Alec Ogletree I was fully intending on taking one of Patterson, Austin, or Allen with this pick (unless Cooper somehow made it past Dallas, NY, and Chicago, but that possibility was about as remote as that remote I lost 5 years ago and just can not find).
However, overnight two things changed my mind: First, Why take the "expected" pick? Might as well make this fun. Second, I should put my pretend money where my mouth is. I have said that Cyprien is my No. 1 safety this draft.
Looking at the St. Louis Rams' roster, they have selected two big, fast wide receivers in the second and third rounds the previous two years that have shown promise in Brian Quick and Austin Pettis. Tavon Austin and Keenan Allen would both upgrade the Rams' offense. However, looking at the Rams' secondary, they desperately need help at safety.
Cyprien has excellent size at 6-foot, 215 pounds, he takes good (if a tad aggressive) angles to the ball, has nice ball skills, and is a violent but sure tackler. He's also not afraid to mix it up in run support, an absolute must in a division with Frank Gore and Marshawn Lynch.
Valentine's View: I am actually stunned by this pick. The Rams really have no one for quarterback Sam Bradford to throw the ball to, and whether or not Cyprien is good value here (most boards say he's not) I find it amazing that 'Raptor' did not use one of his two picks to give Bradford some help. Chris Givens caught 42 passes last season, most of any wide receiver on the St. Louis roster. For my money one of these two selections had to be a wide receiver. Keenan Allen of Cal and Tavon Austin of West Virginia are both still available in our mock.
BBV Mock Draft, Round 1
- Kansas City Chiefs -- , OT, Texas A&M [Explanation]
- Jacksonville Jaguars -- Geno Smith, QB, West Virginia [Explanation]
- Oakland Raiders -- Star Lotulelei, DT, Utah [Explanation]
- Philadelphia Eagles -- Dion Jordan, DE, Oregon [Explanation]
- Detroit Lions -- Eric Fisher, OT, Central Michigan [Explanation]
- Cleveland Browns -- Chance Warmack, G, Alabama [Explanation]
- Arizona Cardinals -- Barkevious Mingo, OLB, LSU [Explanation]
- Buffalo Bills -- Ziggy Ansah, DE, BYU [Explanation]
- New York Jets -- Dee Milliner, CB, Alabama [Explanation]
- Tennessee Titans -- Sharrif Floyd, DT, Florida [Explanation]
- San Diego Chargers -- Lane Johnson, OT, Oklahoma [Explanation]
- Miami Dolphins -- Tank Carradine, DE, Florida State [Explanation]
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers -- Alex Okafor, DE, Texas [Explanation]
- Carolina Panthers -- Sheldon Richardson, DT, Missouri [Explanation]
- New Orleans Saints -- Jarvis Jones, OLB, Georgia [Explanation]
- St. Louis Rams -- Alec Ogletree, LB, Georgia [Explanation]
- Pittsburgh Steelers -- Damontre Moore, DE, Texas A&M [Explanation]
- Dallas Cowboys -- Kenny Vaccaro, S, Texas [Explanation]
- New York Giants -- Jonathan Cooper, OG, North Carolina [Explanation]
- Chicago Bears -- Arthur Brown, LB, Kansas State [Explanation]
- Cincinnati Bengals -- Cordarrelle Patterson, WR, Tennessee [Explanation]
- St. Louis Rams -- Jonathan Cyprien, S, Florida International