Hello fellow Giants fans. Since Perry Fewell became the defensive coordinator back in 2010, there has been a lot of discussion about the defensive scheme that he deploys. We all know that he runs a Tampa 2 scheme, but many of us on here feel that the personnel would be better suited for a press man type of defense. Having said that, I decided to re-watch the Giants Cowboys game (using coaches film) to see just how much man and zone coverage was used. I am providing the raw data here, so you can use it for your general knowledge and for discussion.
There were a total of 29 pass attempts by Romo and the Cowboys:
- On 9 of those plays, the Giants were in man coverage.
- On 19 of those plays, the Giants were in zone coverage.
- On 1 play, the Giants blitzed and were in a combo coverage.
- The Cowboys completed 8 of 9 pass attempts when the Giants were in man coverage (about 89% completion)
- The Cowboys completed 12 of 19 pass attempts when the Giants were in zone coverage (about 63% completion)
- At least 4 of the completions that came when the Giants were in man coverage were slant routes by the Cowboy's receivers.
- 2 TDs came when the Giants were in man coverage, and one TD came when the Giants were in zone coverage.
- The one interception by Boley came when the Giants were in zone coverage.
Thoughts Giants fans?
Note: If you guys want, I will continue to provide these statistics for every game.