The Giants came into Saturday's game with one thing on their mind. Shut down the Jets’ offense and they did just that. The Giants spanked the Jets with a final score of 26-3. Here are some things that I picked up on.
1. The entire defense. The Giants defense played spectacular against the Jets. The Giants held Sanchez and Tebow for a combined 14/25 for 118 yards, 0 touchdowns and 1 interception that was returned 77 yards for a touchdown by rookie CB Jayron Hosley. The Giants also sacked the Jets prized QB’s 7 times for a combined loss of 45 yards. Tuck, Umenyiora, and JPP combined for 2 sacks while rookie DE Adewale Ojomo had 2 sacks and rookie’s Will Hill and Matt Broha added an additional sack each. Along with a terrific Pass rush, the Giants had a couple big 4th down run stops to change possession. Overall, I would give the Giants defense an A. Once the starters came out, I figured the 2nd and 3rd stringers would give up some more points but they played outstanding.
2. Will Hill. Will Hill is a player who continues to impress me. Last night, he had a combined 4 tackles and a sack. His coverage was good and it would very much surprise me if Hill does not make this team. He adds good size at 6’1, 207 lbs. in this Giants secondary.
3, Rookies. A lot of rookies and first year players played excellent tonight. A few are; RB/FB Joe Martinek (1 rec. 1 td), DT Markus Kuhn (2 tckl), DE Adewale Ojomo (4 tckl, 2 scks), CB Jayron Hosley (77 int. return td), DB Will Hill (4 tckl, 1 sck).
Players that played well tonight (a lot tonight!); QB David Carr, QB Ryan Perrilloux, RB/FB Joe Martinek, WR Victor Cruz, WR Rueben Randle, WR Jerrel Jernigan, WR Domenik Hixon, DT Markus Kuhn, DE, Jason Pierre-Paul, DE Adewale Ojomo, DE/LB Matt Broha, LB Keith Rivers, CB Jayron Hosley, DB Wll Hill
1. Run Game. The Giants ran the ball 32 times for an average of 1.8 yards and 0 touchdowns. Bradshaw couldn’t get anything going and left after 3 carries to a minor injury. David Wilson had a few nice carries but the Giants run game just couldn’t get going. We can’t blame it all on the backs because I noticed that there weren’t many holes for them to run through. With that being said, there is no excuse. If guys like DJ Ware, Andre Brown, and Da’rel Scott want to make this team, they need to make things happen.
2. DJ Ware. DJ Ware struggled tonight. He had 11 carries for 15 yards (1.3 avg.). Not only that but he had 1 dropped pass and missed a block on special teams that led to the Jets blocking a punt. Ware will need to put this game behind him and come out gunning next week.
3. Ramses Barden. Barden was targeted twice tonight by Eli Manning. Barden had a third down drop and a ball that went through his hands in a fade to the back of the endzone. Both were passes that he should have caught.
Last week I had the WR depth chart looking something like this.
1. Hakeem Nicks
2. Victor Cruz
After tonight, I think it looks more like this.
1. Hakeem Nicks
2. Victor Cruz
Hixon entered the night as the #2 receiver behind Cruz and both Jernigan and Randle had good games.
Some additional things I noticed…
- DE Adrian Tracy did not play because of injury. This is a shame because last week Tracy played so well and on this defensive line that is very deep, every play counts. Tracy is going to need to show the coaches he should be on this roster in the next 2 weeks.