Here is your New York Giants training camp practice report for Sunday. There are only two more practices at UAlbany before the Giants return to the Timex Performance Center.
Offensive tackle Will Beatty returned to practice. Coach Tom Coughlin described Beatty, dealing with sciatica, as "limited." ... Running back Da'Rel Scott also returned to practice. ... Wide receiver David Douglas (quad) was out, as were center Jim Cordle (knee), Michael Boley (hamstring) and Jacquain Williams (hip). ... Cornerback Michael Coe left practice with some type of leg ailment. ... Reserve tackle James Brewer left practice early with back stiffness.
Pretty difficult to give you much in the way of play-by-play reports from Sunday. The Giants went pretty half to three-quarters speed through the workout. Let's see if we can find some highlights, though.
- Rookie tight end Adrien Robinson flashed a little bit Sunday, making a trio of middle of the field or sideline grabs during 7-on-7 and 11-on-11 drills.
- Wide receiver Ramses Barden had opportunities to make two catches for long gains, but could not haul in either pass against tight coverage. In both instances, Barden had both hands on the ball.
- This goes in the 'ugh' department. Against heavy coverage pressure, Jerrel Jernigan had a Steve Weatherford punt bounce off his shoulder pad. Jernigan had made a loooong run to get to the ball and failed to haul it in. In terms of punt return, Coughlin hinted today that the Giants might use Reuben Randle in situations where the ball simply has to be fair caught deep in the Giants end of the field. More on that when I get a chance to decipher all of my notes.
- Domenik Hixon continued to move well and catch everything thrown to him. Nothing spectacular from him today, just continued good, steady work.
- Martellus Bennett beat Will Hill deep and hauled in a pass from Ryan Perrilloux after a nice play-action fake.
- The Giants ran five consecutive halfback passes or end-around passes today. I guess it wa sthe 'run some plays we will never use' portion of training camp.
- Antrel Rolle, playing the deep safety spot, picked off an Eli Manning pass down the seam intended for Jerrel Jernigan. The ball was well overthrown, and from the conversation between Manning and offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride it looked like something was amiss with either the route or where Manning put the ball.