The New York Giants managed to dodge an impending rain storm for most of Saturday afternoon's practice at UAlbany, avoiding the bad weather until the last few minutes of practice.
Head coach Tom Coughlin called today "an extreme adjustment," but added "we got our practice in, got a lot of people a lot of work."
Here are a few quick notes from today's workout.
- The Giants might have suffered their first significant injury of camp. Defensive end Justin Trattou, fighting Adrian Tracy for a roster spot, was carted off the field after suffering what seemed like a signfiicant left ankle injury. Coughlin said he is being sent for X-rays.
- OTHER INJURY STUFF: Running back Da'Rel Scott sat out after turning his ankle during Friday's workout. ... Jason Pierre-Paul limped off during 11-on-11 drills, but returned moments later and seemed fine ... Terrell Thomas worked during individuals and 7-on-7, but skipped the 11-on-11 portions of practice.
- Thomas 'T2' t-shirts, given out for free, were the smash hit of Autograph Day. It seemed like little kids all over the UAlbany campus had them, and Thomas was signing as many as he could in the rain.
- The practice was held on the UAlbany lacrosse field, which is a field turf surface. In the years I have covered camp this is the first time the Giants have practiced there, and it is a great venue for fans -- easily the best of any of the UAlbany fields. Fans are closer, and this is the most energy I can remember from fans during any Giants practice in recent years.
- Justin Tuck pretty much had his way with David Diehl during the 11-on-11 drills.
- Couple of nice catches by Ramses 'Mr. Training Camp' Barden. The caveat is none of those plays came against any of the regular cornerbacks.
- Victor Cruz was greeted with Cruz chants, lots of cheers and at least one call for a salsa dance. He did not oblige.
- Bear Pascoe had a few catches.
- Really nice day for Jerrel Jernigan. He absolutely blew past Corey Webster off the line of scrimmage to get deep on one play, hauling in a long ball from Eli Manning with a fingertip grab. Coughlin seemed impressed during a quick post-practice presser.
- Mixed bag for undrafted free agent Joe Martinek. He seemed to have a tough time blocking and dropped one short pass. He did, however, make one nice run around left end.
- Linebacker Jake Muasau, an undrafted free agent, made a run stop in the backfield.
- Quarterback Ryan Perrilloux has had a rough couple of days. Lots of off-target throws and what appears to be indecision in the pocket. He has to get better if he wants to be back on the practice squad.
- Defensive tackle Markus Kuhn, the seventh-round draft pick, batted down a Perrilloux pass during goal line drills.