The New York Giants first practice of 2012 training camp is in the books. More than anything head coach Tom Coughlin was just glad the team was able to get outdoors at UAlbany and get the practice in following a miserable\, rain-soaked morning.
"We got it in," said Coughlin. "I was worried this morning. But the weather did help, did cooperate with us this afternoon."
Here are a few firsts from the first workout.
- First 'Cruuuuuz' chant. That came early in the first 11-on-11 when Victor Cruz had to dive to catch an Eli Manning pass in traffic.
- First interception. That was thrown by Manning when Michael Boley stepped in front of an in-cut by Cruz. David Carr and Ryan Perrilloux also threw interceptions. Carr was picked by Prince Amukamara on a long ball for Reuben Randle. Perrilloux was picked by linebacker Jake Muasau on a pass tipped by wide receiver David Douglas.
- First dropped pass. That was by running back Da'Rel Scott.
- First player to unexpectedly sit out practice. That would be cornerback Terrell Thomas, who sat with a stiff back. Coughlin said the issue had nothing to do with Thomas' surgically repaired knee.
- The Giants did 11-on-11 twice and, signficant or not, the first two plays in each session were runs. The Giants are determined to improve last season's league-worst rushing attack.
- Giants' co-owner Steve Tisch gets today's 'who is that bum on the sidelines?' award. Tisch showed up unshaven, wearing a grungy 'NY' t-shirt and with sneakers on that did not even have laces. Not a good look.
- Undrafted free agent running back Joe Martinek worked at both halfback and fullback.
- Domenik Hixon lined up with the first team in place of Hakeem Nicks, who was on the sidelines as he recovers from his broken foot.
- First-round draft pick David Wilson ran with the third unit during the first practice.