Osi Umenyiora was among the New York Giants who hit the practice field today at the Timex Performance Center for the team's latest OTA. Here is some information gleaned from the twitter accounts of Pat Traina, Mike Garafolo, Ralph Vacchaino, Ohm Youngmisuk and other Giants beat writers.
- Umenyiora said the Giants offered him a multi-year deal, but be took the one-year deal so he can explore free agency at the end of the season.
- Umenyiora told reporters he fired agent Tony Agnone because he would not sign off on the deal with the Giants, but that he plans to rehire Agnone.
- Tight end Martellus Bennett, in light of the news he is up to 291 pounds, was in no mood to hear fat jokes. See Ralph Vacchiano's classic tweet below.
Great moments in sports journalism: Giants TE Martellus Bennett standing in front of the media in just shorts saying "Do I look fat?" #NYG— Ralph Vacchiano (@TheBlueScreen) June 4, 2012
- Bennett also told reporters he has bulked up and his pants size has gone down, and fired off this one-liner: "I'm looking like Atlas, not Professor Klump."
- Will Beatty has not been participating in OTAs due to a back injury that may also keep him out of mini-camp. Defensive tackle Shaun Rogers is sitting out with an elbow issue.
- Pat Traina and I apparently jinxed Tyler Sash. The second-year safety apparently suffered a hamstring injury Monday morning.
Much more later when full reports and interview transcripts become available.