We have arrived at the 15th selection in the first round of our Big Blue View 2012 Community Mock Draft, meaning the Philadelphia Eagles are up. Kind of cool having all of the New York Giants NFC East competition in the opening half of Round 1, while the Giants pick No. 32.
Anyway, here is the selection from Eagles fan and yet good friend of BBV, 'JimmyK.' A very long-winded 'JimmyK,' I might add.
No. 15, Philadelphia Eagles -- Luke Kuechly, MLB, Boston College
With Melvin Ingram, Fletcher Cox, and Luke Kuechly still on the board at pick #12, I knew there was a pretty good chance I'd get one of the three. I would have preferred Ingram or Cox to add an inside pass-rushing presence to the already impressive trio of Trent Cole, Jason Babin and Cullen Jenkins. With those two guys gone, I turn to Kuechly.
A week ago, the Eagles added DeMeco Ryans from Houston for the low cost of a 4th round pick and a swap of draft positions in the 3rd round. He's now the Eagles' starting MLB. While the best fit for Kuechly would be as a 4-3 MLB, he'd also fit in nicely as a 4-3 SAM for a few years, before sliding over to MLB to take over for Ryans whenever he begins to slow down.
Kuechly is a tackling machine. His numbers in college were almost sort of comical.
2011: 191 tackles
2010: 183 tackles
2009: 158 tackles
3 years of college, 38 games, 532 tackles. That's just ridiculous. Nobody questions his instincts, his ability to wrap up, his leadership intangibles, or his eye-popping numbers. However, there were some people that suggested he didn't have good speed or strength. And then he ran a 4.50 40 at the Combine and put up 27 reps in the bench press. I guess those fears were put to bed to some degree.
The Eagles' linebackers were clearly the biggest weakness on the team last season. Now they're a strength. -- 'JimmyK'
-- 'PlaxicoBurress' is now on the clock for the New York Jets.
1. Indianapolis Colts -- Andrew Luck, QB, Stanford [Drizzzy's Explanation]
2. Washington Redskins (from St. Louis Rams) -- Robert Griffin III, QB, Baylor [Woogie 526's Explanation]
3. Minnesota Vikings -- Matt Kalil, OT, USC [Tito's Explanation]
4. Cleveland Browns -- Trent Richardson, RB, Alabama [NYG 28's Explanation]
5. Tampa Bay Buccaneers -- Morris Claiborne, CB, LSU [Carmine5520's Explanation]
6. St. Louis Rams (from Washington Redskins) -- Justin Blackmon, WR, Oklahoma State [Pataroons' Explanation]
7. Jacksonville Jaguars -- Riley Reiff, OT, Iowa [Ed Valentine's Explanation]
8. Miami Dolphins -- Ryan Tannehill, QB, Texas A&M [Ed Valentine's Explanation]
9. Carolina Panthers -- Quinton Coples, DE, North Carolina [JINTSGM's Explanation]
10. Buffalo Bills -- Michael Floyd, WR, Notre Dame [bigbluethruandthru's Explanation]
11 Kansas City Chiefs -- David DeCastro, G, Stanford [Jason Pierre Pwned's Explanation]
12. Seattle Seahawks -- Melvin Ingram, DE, South Carolina [TNYFBG's Explanation]
13. Arizona Cardinals -- Courtney Upshaw, OLB, Alabama [ManningHam and Cheese's Explanation]
14. Dallas Cowboys -- Fletcher Cox, DE, Mississippi State [Simms-McConkey's Explanation]
15. Philadelphia Eagles -- Luke Kuechly, MLB, Boston College [JimmyK]
16. New York Jets -- Plaxico Burress
17. Cincinnati Bengals (via Oakland Raiders) -- GiantStep
18. San Diego Chargers -- Charles L
19. Chicago Bears -- Pat19
20. Tennessee Titans -- apingicer
21. Cincinnati Bengals -- GiantStep
22. Cleveland Browns (via Atlanta Falcons) -- NYG 28
23. Detroit Lions -- CCE718
24. Pittsburgh Steelers -- NYG_Slater
25. Denver Broncos -- daddyzander
26. Houston Texans -- #AHoustonGiant
27. New England Patriots (via New Orleans Saints)
28. Green Bay Packers -- Flynner
29. Baltimore Ravens -- Larry Soprano
30. San Francisco 49ers -- RealLT
31. New England Patriots -- Ryan Valentine (first round only); Second Round -- nysoldier
32. New York Giants -- Ed Valentine