KNOXVILLE, TN - OCTOBER 29: Melvin Ingram #6 of the South Carolina Gamecocks celebrates during the game against the Tennessee Volunteers at Neyland Stadium on October 29, 2011 in Knoxville, Tennessee. (Photo by Andy Lyons/Getty Images)
The Big Blue View 2012 Community Mock Draft has now reached the 12th selection of the first round, putting 'TNYFBG' on the hot seat for the Seattle Seahawks. Here is his selection.
No. 12, Seattle Seahawks -- Melvin Ingram, DE, South Carolina
For this pick, I had a group of about 10 players at the top and hoped that one of them would last to #12. Looking at the roster, our greatest needs are at DE, LBzzzz, OG, CB/WR/RB in about that order. Of my group, there are 2 left that I'm considering for this pick... Melvin Ingram and Luke Kuechley.
I'm bummed that Coples and DeCastro got picked up and am almost glad Floyd did because I like him a lot and may have been my BPA, but we're still a few pieces away from true contention and he would have been a bit of a luxury. I've seen mocks giving us Brockers, but that would be even more of a luxury than Floyd with my stable of solid DTs and I have him as high as the 2 mentioned above.
In the end, it comes down to grade and positional value more than need, even if our only pass rush comes from 30 year old Chris Clemons and no one else had more than 4 sacks. The pick is Melvin Ingram - DE - South Carolina over Kuechly, who I'm a bit concerned about lack of speed at the next level giving him a little lower grade and again, a bump down for positional value as well. I think his lack of height may actually be an advantage as his bread-n-butter is the bull rush and his quick step should enable him to get under a lot of OTs and drive them back into the QBs lap. The kid gets after the passer and that's what I want.
One more thought.. If I'm the 'Hawks GM, I got a nice 3-year/$5 mil contract waiting for Dave Tollefson too.
1. Indianapolis Colts -- Andrew Luck, QB, Stanford [Drizzzy's Explanation]
2. Washington Redskins (from St. Louis Rams) -- Robert Griffin III, QB, Baylor [Woogie 526's Explanation]
3. Minnesota Vikings -- Matt Kalil, OT, USC [Tito's Explanation]
4. Cleveland Browns -- Trent Richardson, RB, Alabama [NYG 28's Explanation]
5. Tampa Bay Buccaneers -- Morris Claiborne, CB, LSU [Carmine5520's Explanation]
6. St. Louis Rams (from Washington Redskins) -- Justin Blackmon, WR, Oklahoma State [Pataroons' Explanation]
7. Jacksonville Jaguars -- Riley Reiff, OT, Iowa [Ed Valentine's Explanation]
8. Miami Dolphins -- Ryan Tannehill, QB, Texas A&M [Ed Valentine's Explanation]
9. Carolina Panthers -- Quinton Coples, DE, North Carolina [JINTSGM's Explanation]
10. Buffalo Bills -- Michael Floyd, WR, Notre Dame [bigbluethruandthru's Explanation]
11 Kansas City Chiefs -- David DeCastro, G, Stanford [Jason Pierre Pwned's Explanation]
12. Seattle Seahawks -- Melvin Ingram, DE, South Carolina [TNYFBG]
13. Arizona Cardinals -- ManningHam and Cheese
14. Dallas Cowboys -- Simms-McConkey
15. Philadelphia Eagles -- JimmyK
16. New York Jets -- Plaxico Burress
17. Cincinnati Bengals (via Oakland Raiders) -- GiantStep
18. San Diego Chargers -- Charles L
19. Chicago Bears -- Pat19
20. Tennessee Titans -- apingicer
21. Cincinnati Bengals -- GiantStep
22. Cleveland Browns (via Atlanta Falcons) -- NYG 28
23. Detroit Lions -- CCE718
24. Pittsburgh Steelers -- NYG_Slater
25. Denver Broncos -- daddyzander
26. Houston Texans -- #AHoustonGiant
27. New England Patriots (via New Orleans Saints)
28. Green Bay Packers -- Flynner
29. Baltimore Ravens -- Larry Soprano
30. San Francisco 49ers -- RealLT
31. New England Patriots -- Ryan Valentine (first round only); Second Round -- nysoldier
32. New York Giants -- Ed Valentine