Matthew Emmons-US PRESSWIRE
The New York Giants begin the second half of their season today when they host the Pittsburgh Steelers.
The New York Giants enter the danger zone Sunday afternoon. That isn't because of how difficult it might or might not be to get to MetLife Stadium due to the after-effects of Sandy, rather it is because the second half of the season begins this afternoon.
The Giants are 1-7 under Tom Coughlin in Game 9 of the NFL season, and every Giants' fan knows the second halves of seasons have been much more adventurous than the first halves. Will that trend continue? We begin finding out today against the Pittsburgh Steelers.
The Basic Stuff
What: Giants (6-2) vs. Steelers (4-3)
When: 4:25 p.m. ET
TV: CBS, Jim Nantz and Phil Simms
Line: Giants -3.5
1. Eli Manning: The Steelers' defense has been stingy as it is second in the league in yards per game allowed. The pass defense is allowing only 182.6 yards per game, best in the league.
2. Hakeem Nicks: Will this be the week that Nicks plays like Nicks?
1. Ben Roethlisberger: Big Ben vs. Eli is always fun. Roethlisberger is completing 66.8 percent of his throws.
2. Heath Miller: The Giants gave up 18 receptions to Dallas tight end Jason Witten a week ago. Miller has 35 receptions this season. The Giants will use the three-safety look with Kenny Phillips back this week. Can they keep Miller under control?
3. Isaac Redman: He is Pittsburgh's third running back, and he gets the nod this week due to injuries. The Steelers are controlling the ball for 34 minutes per game, so the Giants have to shut Redman and the running attack down.
Whenever these two teams meet there is the Eli vs. Big Ben angle to consider. There is also the history between two of the league's original franchises. There is the fact that, per STATS Inc., the Giants are 1-7 under Tom Coughlin in Game 9.
The big story, though, is of course the fact there is a game at MetLife Sunday following Superstorm Sandy that still has much of the New Jersey area without power. We know the Steelers are traveling to and from the game today, something NFL teams rarely do nowadays.
Mike Farley, Big Blue View: Giants 22, Steelers 19
Jared Smith, SB Nation New York: Steelers 27, Giants 24
"We had some people in [my] building complaining about having to walk up the stairs instead of taking the elevator. I had to to tell them, 'Come on, really? You got to walk up six flights of stairs; there are other people that have a lot of worse things going on in their lives right now than having to walk up the stairs. You are in good situation right now, the only thing we don't have here is power.' It's all about perspective."
|Name||Position||Injury||Practice Status||Game Status|
|Troy Polamalu||S||Calf||Did Not Participate In Practice||Out|
|Isaac Redman||RB||Ankle||Full Participation in Practice||Probable|
|Brandon Johnson||LB||Hamstring||Full Participation in Practice||Probable|
|Rashard Mendenhall||RB||Achilles||Did Not Participate In Practice||Doubtful|
|Stevenson Sylvester||LB||Hamstring||Did Not Participate In Practice||Out|
|Marcus Gilbert||T||Ankle||Did Not Participate In Practice||Out|
|LaMarr Woodley||LB||Hamstring||Full Participation in Practice||Probable|
|Baron Batch||RB||Shin||Full Participation in Practice||Probable|
|Jonathan Dwyer||RB||Quadricep||Did Not Participate In Practice||Doubtful|
|Ryan Clark||S||Concussion||Full Participation in Practice||Probable|
|Bear Pascoe||TE||Ankle||Limited Participation in Practice||Questionable|
|Ahmad Bradshaw||RB||Foot||Did Not Participate In Practice||Questionable|
|Chase Blackburn||LB||Hamstring||Did Not Participate In Practice||Out|
|Kenny Phillips||S||Knee||Limited Participation in Practice||Questionable|
|Rocky Bernard||DT||Quadricep||Full Participation in Practice||Probable|
|Antrel Rolle||S||Concussion||Full Participation in Practice||Probable|
|Keith Rivers||LB||Calf||Limited Participation in Practice||Doubtful|
|Victor Cruz||WR||Calf||Full Participation in Practice||Probable|
|David Baas||C||Ankle||Full Participation in Practice||Probable|
|Jacquian Williams||LB||Knee||Did Not Participate In Practice||Out|
-- From NFL.com on Friday