Muhammad Wilkerson, DE, Temple.
Playing the role of Pittsburgh Steelers general manager for the second straight year is 'ross_stephen.' That begs the question -- hey, are you really a closet Steelers' fan? Regardless, here is his rationale for the selection of Wilkerson:
Picking for the Steelers 2 years in a row. Nice to build on what we did last year.
Getting to the Super Bowl, you'd think = no holes.
Not the case here.
1) I'd love to replace Dancing with the Stars Hines Ward, but the guy can still play
2) I'd hate to be forced to play an entire season without Troy Polamalu, and his style of play leaves the Steelers open in the secondary.
3) the Oline is a disaster and Big Ben is one major hit away from retirement
4) the Dline is in need of some youth.
Last year I wanted to get Oline, Dline (Hampton is not young, nor is Keisel), and CBs. The real version of the Steelers went interior Oline. So, I was correct on position, but missed on the player.
This year is no different, they still need OL, DL, and CBs.
So, looking at the draft, as it has unfolded.
- Oline: Not much left. Watkins is too old in my mind. I was thinking Sherrod would fall to me, (even if he is a finesse pass blocker). No such luck.
- DLine: I wanted a massive NT, but Phil Taylor was taken very early in this mock draft.
- CBs: Harris and Williams are both good, but have their own issues, plus I've got my eye on a few good CB prospects for round 2.
So, the choice now comes down to BPA / value, in a position of need.
- Heyward, a 290 DE? Sounds good for a 3-4 team with a 32 year old starter at DE
- Wilkerson, a 310 DT/DE? Sounds good for a 3-4 team with a 33 year old starter at NT
- Paea, a 305 DT with massive strength? Sounds good.... but too early for him.
The pick is Wilkerson.
I'm a huge believer that "When in doubt - go to the Trenches", especially if you are the Steelers and you make your living in the trenches.
While I don't think he'll play NT, he will team with Ziggy Hood to make their DLine a massive force. Allowing the LBs to roam free and destroy people for years to come.
A big part of me wanted to go Heyward, or reach for a NT. But the overall possibilities of Wilkerson that has him rushing up the draft board has enticed the Steelers into making him the pick. I know he's a "Small school prospect"... but he's going to be a beast in the NFL in the near term.
Ed profiled Wilkerson here:
Where he made comments like:
"Wilkerson is an elite 3-4 defensive end prospect with idea size, excellent shedding ability and the athleticism to pursue from the backside and rush the passer."
My take: For the Steelers, a good pick. Most draft boards would have him as the top-rated 3-4 player among the currently available defensive ends or outside linebackers. This puts 'NYG28' on the clock with our final pick of the first round. That, of course, belongs to the Green Bay Packers.
|19||N.Y. Giants||Akeem Ayers
||The Blood Of Eli
||Illinois||You're my boy, Blue|
New York Jets
|48||Oakland||G Fan In England
|52||N.Y. Giants||Ed Valentine|
||The Blood Of Eli|
||You're my boy, Blue|