New York Giants coach Tom Coughlin held court with the press for about 30 minutes today at the NFL Scouting Combine, and Coughlin was in a sharing mood, doling out lots of quality information. Thanks to the wonders of Twitter, and quick work from the beat writers, I have most of the nuggets from TC.
- Coughlin said Brandon Jacobs needs more than the 147 carries he got in 2010. "He’s got a lot of gas in the tank," Coughlin said. Well, I guess that tells you Coughlin is planning on having Jacobs as part of the Giants backfield next season. By extension, if they are going to give the ball to Jacobs more you wonder exactly how much they will be willing to pay free-agent Ahmad Bradshaw.
- He told reporters that "Richie (Seubert) is making good progress from a very serious injury. If anybody can overcome it, its that guy."
- He offered only a "no comment" when asked about Plaxico Burress.
- Coughlin said defensive end Mathias Kiwanuka will not need neck surgery. There are still questions but the "arrow pointing in the right direction." for a Kiwanuka return to football. Giants General Manager Jerry Reese had previously said the Giants would be willing to give the free agent Kiwanuka a one-year "prove you're healthy" contract if he is able to return.
- Asked about Antrel Rolle's "loosen up" comments -- as you knew he would be -- Coughlin said "He should have seen me a few years ago."
- The only hint Coughlin would give about the Giants plans for the 2011 NFL Draft was that they need a center "because we have injuries at that spot." Of course, Seubert, Shaun O'Hara and Adam Koets have all had surgery. The health of veterans O'Hara and Seubert will be an especially big question mark heading into the 2011 season.