I know as a Giants fan I should take nothing for granted (especially in San Francisco). But this is a week I'm going to get greedy and ask for a blowout. The reasons we can do it are listed below. I'm not saying we should blow them out. I'm saying we can. With my first child due yesterday (but the wife not in labor yet) I'd sure like a laugher on Sunday so I can worry about more important things.
Reasons for a blowout:
- Hakeem the Dream: Looks like Hakeem Nicks is back in the fold this week. I look for the Giants to be more explosive. The 49ers will have to account for him. This should not only give Eli his top target, but it should open up room for Mario Manigham (shout out to cheese) and Kevin Boss... I mean Jake Ballard.
- Alex Smith: If we can force the game into Smith's hands it could get pretty...for the Giants. To do this we will have to score points early. I believe we can (see above). If the game is
close the 49ers will keep running the ball (even on 3rd and 9), but if they get behind by 14+ they will have to air it out.
- Steve Weatherford: Probably our biggest free agency addition in 2011. (Prove me wrong David Baas). I trust Weatherford to kick the ball out of bounds this week on all punts. Perhaps the most explosive player on the 49ers is Ted Ginn Jr. Keep the ball out of his hands and the 49ers look more pedestrian.
- Complacency: The Giants want this game. They have a brutal schedule as we all know. They are in a division with 2 teams that have the talent to cause them serious problems and put together win streaks. San Francisco simply doesn't need this game in any way shape or form. They could lose out and probably still win the division. It is hard to see Seattle, Arizona or St. Louis winning 7 games. The Giants should have more drive to win.
- Prince Amukamara and Michael Coe: It was good to see Coe get on the field last week. Not because I am particularly excited about him, but because it lets Antrel Rolle move to safety. This should help solidify our defense against the TE's of San Francisco
- . The Prince's arrival (if it happens this week) would only add to the things PF can do to scheme against Frank Gore.
- The Blitz: There aren't many Giants blitz packages to study on film as PF has decided to rush three more often then he has to rush 5 or 6. This would be a great week to show some new wrinkles as the 49ers are not built to beat you over the top. I think we can bring 6 guys consistently this week. Play the game in the opponents backfield to stop the run and force the QB to make quick decisions. They won't have seen these on tape meaning we have a chance to do some damage. Even if the extra blitzers are picked up, we should be able to contain against the big play.
There are 3 reasons this game scares me.
- The 49ers run game: We know they have a great RB and we know the Giants can be vulnerable against the run. All it will take is a couple of huge runs and the reasons above for a big win go out the window.
- The Giants run game: I don't think in today's NFL you need to pound the
rock to win, but, if the 49ers are successful in the run game and the Giants are not, it could spell a big Time of Possession discrepancy. If that happens the game gets shorter and it could be a close one.
- Alex Smith: I don't think Alex Smith is good. That worries me b/c the Giants have defeated: Michael Vick, Sam Bradford, John Beck (in a close game), Kevin Kolb (close game), Ryan Fitzpatrick and Tom Brady. We have lost to Rex Grossman (Hopefully our only loss to a Rex this year.) and the combination of Tavaris Jackson and Charlie Whitehurst. For some reason the worse the QB's are the better the game they play against us.
Any way you slice it 7 wins are 7 wins and I will be very happy. But please G-Men. You have a chance to do it with ease this week. Don't make me sweat...