The injury news is coming fast and furious from Friday afternoon's practice at New York Giants training camp.
I skipped out on head coach Tom Coughlin's press conference, so a lot of this is coming from Twitter. Here's what is going on.
- Wide receiver Steve Smith left practice early and is headed for an MRI on his groin.
- Offensive lineman Reuben Riley strained an MCL on the final play of practice.
- Coughlin is not optimistic about an early return for Rich Seubert.
- Tight end Jake Ballard strained a hamstring reaching for a pass. Kevin Boss and Travis Beckum were already not practicing.
- Some good news. Coughlin expects center Shaun O'Hara and safety Kenny Phillips (yes, Kenny Phillips) to practice Monday.
Now, for some on-the-field news.
- With O'Hara and Seubert not practicing, and Will Beatty having struggled mightily on Thursday, I was curious how the offensive line would look. The first unit was David Diehl (LT), Guy Whimper (LG), Adam Koets (C), Chris Snee (RG) and Kareem McKenzie (RG). Beatty got some first-team reps with Diehl moving inside, and rookie fifth-round pick Mitch Petrus also got a few first-team reps at left guard. Koets, by the way, remains an adventure simply snapping the ball back to the quarterback.
- The Giants finished practice with a goal-line drill, putting the ball at the two- or three-yard line, we really couldn't see where. Good news/bad news here. Great defensive stand as the offense was unable to score in six plays. Of course, that means pretty terrible offensive play but it left the defense talking plenty of trash. Scott Chandler dropped a ball that should have been a touchdown from Eli Manning. Right now, there has to be concern about how the offensive line will shake out as the Giants could not get any running plays blocked.
- Noticeable today was that, for the first time this camp, Brandon Jacobs took a couple of snaps before Ahmad Bradshaw in 11-on-11 drills.
- Mixed bag for Ramses Barden. Great catch along the left sideline as he beat Corey Webster off the line and leaped for a high throw from Eli. He also dropped a slant pass that hit him right in the hands.
- Great interception by Aaron Ross in a red zone drill, stepping in front of Hakeem Nicks on a slant pass to pick off Manning. Bunch of dropped picks today, though. One by Keith Bulluck and one by John Busing on an awful throw by Rhett Bomar that got Perry Fewell to scream "catch the freakin' (and yes, he did say 'freakin') football." Perry must have been feeling PG in front of today's Autograph Day crowd.
- Under the watchful eye of Jeff Feagles Matt Dodge worked on dropping the ball inside the 20 today, with mixed success. A few good, high punts dropped around the 10-yard line (from the 45), but a couple of bad ones as well.
- Barry Cofield took advantage of Whimper once and Petrus once to make a pair of nice run stops in the backfield.