Our New York Giants report to training camp at the University at Albany today. With that in mind everywhere you turn, you find training camp previews, and you might have expected one here this morning.
Well, since we always strive to be different here at Big Blue View we are not doing that today. Instead, a slightly different tack. Let's put a bow on the Giants' off-season, and let's do that in our own unique style. With a 'Kudos & Wet Willies' off-season wrap-up post, of course.
Kudos to ...
Jerry Reese: He knew what the Giants needed after last season's defensive debacle, and did everything he could to fix that situation. Antrel Rolle, Deon Grant and Keith Bulluck via free agency, Jason Pierre-Paul, Linval Joseph and Phillip Dillard via the draft. An 'A' for effort -- now we just need to see if the results match.
Perry Fewell: He really hasn't done anything yet, but he gets 'kudos' for choosing the Giants over going to work for Lovie Smith and the Chicago Bears. From everything we have seen thus far, Fewell will be a great hire for the Giants. Think back a few months, though, and you'll recall that if Fewell had said no Tom Coughlin did not really seem to have a good Plan B.
'New York Giants Talk' Guests: 'Kudos' to Giants players Clint Sintim, D.J. Ware, Terrell Thomas and Will Beatty for joining Pat Traina (Inside Football) and I on NYGT at various times during the off-season. And to Bruce Johnson, for doing an interview with me recently.
- MSP Giants Annual Contributors: A 'Kudo' to everyone who wrote something for the season preview book, which will be available on newsstands and at Barnes & Noble bookstores in the NY/NJ/CT area Aug. 3. You can order it online at maplestreetpress.com by clicking 'publications.'
- Peter-John Baptiste: PJB is a member of the Giants communications staff. He gets 'kudos' for the private tour he gave me of the New Meadowlands Stadium, and for helping me snag a couple of player interviews during the Pro Bowl.
- Jeff Feagles: Great career, but the long-time Giants' punter called it quits at the right time. Hate to see athletes hang around too long, and Feagles did not.
Wet Willies to ...
- C.C. Brown: He's gone, but not forgotten. This 'Wet Willie' is for blaming the organization, the media and everyone else for his poor performance in 2009. Good riddance, C.C. The Giants need winners, not whiners, and you are the latter.
- Tiki Barber: Without recounting all of the ex-Giants' personal troubles I couldn't resist one last poke at our fallen hero. Call me cruel, but picking on Tiki is too easy these days to pass it up.
Not a whole lot of Giants' Wet Willies,' so I will hand out a couple of other ones just for fun.
- Rex Ryan: All of the bluster coming from the Jets' coach this off-season has putt the bullseye squarely on his team's back. Ryan has set his team up for a 'win the Super Bowl or the season is a failure' type of year. The players know it, the media knows it and the fans know it. Nothing like adding a little pressure, Rex.
- Albert Haynesworth: Blow off the Washington Redskins' OTAs and mini-camps, then show up for training camp and fail two conditioning tests. Way to go, Al! Way to show commitment to your team and that you're serious about your career.